Today I was feeling festive so I made this dish for lunch. It was so simple but since the dish is technically a side I cooked some chicken breasts and cut them into strips and then placed them around the bowl. The fondue tastes amazing with grilled chicken and it is the perfect finger food meal. I have to say it is very pretty as well and would be a great appetizer for a party. Jason wasn't too fond of the spinach in it but other than that...great dish.
One Note: Canned artichokes were over $3 which was too pricey for me so I substituted mashed garbanzo beans. I was thinking navy beans might be good as well. Also, don't skip making your own chips...they are worth the little bit of time they take. The cumin on them adds a wonderful flavor.
Let me know if you decide to make it; I would love to hear how your family reviews it!
* Cooking spray
* 8 flour or corn tortillas, cut into wedges
* Ground cumin
* Salt and freshly ground black pepper
* 2 to 3 cups shredded 4 cheese Mexican cheese blends (recommended: Monterey Jack, Cheddar, mozzarella, queso blanco, or any combination of cheese blends)
* 1 (14-ounce) can artichoke hearts, drained and chopped
* 1 cup salsa or pico de gallo sauce
* 1 (10-ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and well drained
* 3 seeded, peeled and chopped avocados
* 2 to 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
* 1 to 2 tablespoons freshly chopped cilantro leaves
* 1 tomato, chopped
* Smoked paprika, if desired
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
Coat a large baking sheet with cooking spray.
Arrange tortillas on prepared baking sheet and spray with cooking spray. Season the top of tortillas with cumin, salt and freshly ground black pepper. Bake 6 minutes, until golden brown and crisp. Remove from oven.
While the tortillas are baking, in a medium saucepan, combine cheese, artichoke hearts, salsa, and spinach. Set pan over medium heat and bring to a simmer, for 5 minutes or until cheese melts. Pour into a serving bowl.
In a large bowl, combine: the chopped avocados, lime juice, chopped cilantro, chopped tomatoes, salt and freshly ground black pepper and smoked paprika, to taste, if using.
Adjust seasonings, if necessary.
Serve cheese fondue with baked chips and guacamole