Wednesday, August 26, 2009

The Grands and Brunch

This weekend I was surprised to get a call from my Grandmother and her husband, Mr. Syfrett. They wanted to know if they could come see us. "Well of course you can!" I said. So they did.
They pulled up on Saturday in there brand spankin new (used LOL) motor home. Jason, Shelby and I were given the grad tour immediately following their arrival. While Jason and I marveled at the beautiful fabrics, leather couches, and cherry wood cabinets Shelby was perfectly content to roll around on the bed. Grandmother was getting a kick out of her. Shelby was talking up a storm! Oh, and Mr. Syfrett brought me roses! I had to show you some pictures.


Then on Monday we made the spilt second decision to hop in the truck and go see Ben in Stephenville. I am not sure if I have mention Ben lately on here....Ben is my younger brother and he just started his first semester of college at Tarleton State! I had never been to Tarleton and couldn't wait to look around campus. Ben showed us where all his classes were, the rec center, the cafeteria, the library, and of course his dorm room which is tiny. Seriously tiny. It was wonderful to see Ben; I have been thinking about him a lot since he started school. I know he will do well but I want him to feel comfortable to call me if he needs anything at all and I have this psycho love for editing English papers so I have told him time and time again that I am just an email away from editing his paper. Abilene is only about an hour and forty-five minutes away so I hope he visits often! I have tried to bribe him with food! :D Unfortunately I was too busy looking around to remember take any pictures. :(

Now onto the topics of brunches. They are wonderful aren't they?! You get to sleep in and then get up to a cornucopia of breakfast delights...well, that is if your not the person preparing it. ;) So to treat my wonderful family right I made brunch two mornings.
For morning one I made a basic omlette with mushroom, eggplant, onion, garlic, parsley, zucchini, tomato, green onion, and cheddar cheese. I think that was everything. But instead of folding the omelet in half over itself as is typically done I pulled the pan off the burned just before the eggs were fully cooked and sprinkled the cheese over top and popped the whole thing under the broiler until the eggs had finished cooking and the cheese was melty and just brown on top. Delish!
For morning two I decided to do something a little more special and try some new recipes. So I made a Pomegranate Breakfast Soda which is one of Ina Garten's recipes...I love her!



Next was Breakfast in a Cup by Paula Deen...How can you not love Paula and her obsession with butter! Note: I topped this dish with a dollop of sour cream and finely chopped green onion and it really added to the dish.



Lastly, I prepared French Toast with Strawberries and Cream recipe courtesy of the newest Food Network Chef Claire Robinson.


As you can tell by this very large post I had a wonderful, family filled weekend. Try these recipes; they are scrumptious!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading your comments! Thank you for sharing your thoughts.